Drumhierny Woodland Hideaway – Our promise to the planet
At Drumhierny Woodland Hideaway our core values revolve around the wellbeing of our visitors, the regeneration of our estate and the economic contributions this encompasses to the exisitng locality while protecting and sustaining our natural woodlands for future generations.
We recognize the impact of our operations on the enviroment and are committed to identifying and minimizing any detrimental effects that may occur. By working together we can contribute to a cleaner and safer environment and ensure environmental issues remain a focal point and receive proper attention. We recognize that commerciality and the environment need to work hand in hand and we at Drumhierny Woodland Hideaway are committed to doing so.
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
(United Nations World Tourism Organization)
At Drumhierny Woodland Hideaway, we believe that sustainable tourism is tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social, and environmental impacts while addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment, and host communities. We therefore aim to reduce our negative effects and increase our positive impacts on nature.
Our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Commitment
Sustainability is a journey of continuous improvement, and we are aware that we have a lot to learn and are far from being perfect yet. This is just the start for us and at Drumhierny Woodland Hideaway we are committed to having a positive impact on the environment and the community in which we are located while simultaneously ensuring an exceptional guest experience at all times.
Our Key Measures in Reducing Negative Impacts
In delivering our commitment, we will comply with relevant legislation and take a proactive approach to future requirements and obligations.
Key Energy Consumption Measures
Measure our electricity consumption regularly and do the following to reduce consumption:
- Communicate our policy and relevant environmental control to employees, suppliers and guests.
- We seek to conserve natural resources through the responsible use of energy, water and materials with timber harvested from the estate for re-use in bespoke furniture in our lodges and 'The Cedaroo', our outdoor seating & relaxation area.
- Monitoring water usage while encouraging water conservation in doing the following to reduce consumption:
- Low Flow Shower Heads, Taps & Toilets with a flow rate of no more than 2gpm.
- Monitor with constant improvisation on our recycling in areas such as energy consumption, reduction of waste material and water consumption and educate our guests on how to adhere to our policies accordingly.
- Working with our suppliers to reduce carbon footprint and reduce the waste generated and minimize waste collections.
- Keep our carbon footprint low from the beginning and committing to our ‘Plant a Tree” Campaign whereby we will plant one tree for each direct booking we receive. Gift vouchers can be purchased to plant additional trees, a personalised certificate will be sent to the recipient once the tree has been planted.
- Trees will be planted within the estate and over time, we will rejuvenate native Irish trees and the tree species and organisation name will be displayed. This project will create an attractive and meaningful feature, harmonious with the natural surroundings of the estate and the beautiful area that we call home.
Ethical Purchasing – Sourcing Responsibly & Locally
At Drumhierny Woodland Hideaway we are committed to the following guidelines in the purchasing of our goods & products:
- Sourcing products and services locally wherever possible to encourage local business and craftspeople, create authenticity and cut down on energy used for transport and distribution.
- Reducing consumption & buying only what we need.
- Buying in bulk where possible to reduce the amount of packaging and energy used for deliveries.
- Working with growers and suppliers locally to overcome the necessity to import, and where imports are essential importing ‘fair trade’ products.
- Ensuring that all suppliers adhere to safe & ethical working practices.
Responsible Sustainability Marketing
We know we can’t always get things right the first time. We therefore commit to honestly communicating where we are on our journey and our improvements. We commit to marketing ethically by:
- Being open & transparent.
- Ensuring equality & inclusion.
- Ensuring our digital marketing is ethical – always comply with the highest level of regional compliance re data usage & privacy.
- All promotions including product, pricing and purpose will be displayed accurately and truthfully.
- SEO done ethically and on merit, based on genuine relationships and partnerships. We will not purchase links or engage in otherwise unethical behaviours as outlined in Google’s webmaster guidelines.